First Past the Post

Homework: The use of FPTP means Britain is not a true democracy. Discuss.

3.15: I manage to extricate myself from my office ("Miss, I don't understand the coursework" "Miss, my nose won't stop bleeding" "Miss, I don't want to go home, my dad might be there") and hide in my classroom to mark the above homework.

4.10: Yippee!! More kids in set 2 seem to understand FPTP than don't! We have analysis, argument, and even a mention of AV and STV - indicating (gasp) independent research! Am floating on air. Am awesomest teacher in the land. All students lucky enough to even piss about near me once a week will get A*s. Everything is wonderful, especially me.

4.45: Hmm... Most kids in set 4 seem to think there are only four constituencies in Britain. I'm getting very tired of writing "This was just in our example! There are actually more than 600!" Never mind, though: most also mention the speed, simplicity and low cost of FPTP, the difficulty small parties have, and the number of MPs getting elected with less than 40% of the vote. Good good.

5.35: Oh dear. The best analysis we have here is "more people will be sad than happy." And even worse: most kids in set 8 have written about the three main political parties in Britain, led by Miss Scarlet, Mrs Peacock and Colonel Mustard. Really wish I had a stamp that said THIS WAS AN EXAMPLE, IDIOT CHILD.

No comments:

Post a Comment