When even God fails you...

This honestly, truly happened.

I went to the year 8 office to talk about a particularly obscene child, and make plans for a meeting with the parents. I walked into the following conversation:

Child: but I prayed, and there was no sign.
Head of Year: well, sometimes our relatives, no matter how much they love us, can't give us a sign from the afterlife.
Child: but then, the problem was, so I didn't know whether to eat my dinner or not.
Head of Year: well, maybe we just have to decide that if our mum makes us dinner, she obviously thinks its important, and if dinner is ready, it's probably time to eat dinner.
Child: but I prayed and prayed, because I didn't know whether to eat or not, and there was no sign. Why isn't my grandfather talking to me?

I was desperately trying not to laugh. The head of year explained that this child had the mental age of a 6 year old, and really should still be in a primary setting. Sadly, she's stuck in year 8 with 12 and 13 year olds.

Who said we had a one-size-fits-all education system?

No comments:

Post a Comment